Thanks for considering volunteering as a mentor with Brothers in Arms! We are looking for mentors with diverse ages, backgrounds and cultures — mentors with a passion for Aotearoa’s young people and more simply put, people who are willing to be a positive adult in a young persons life.
We work with young people aged 9-13, both male and female from City central through to Te Atatu South, to Glen Innes down to Manurewa and everywhere in between.
To find out more, please click the Volunteer Info Pack here, and fill out the mentor application form below.Click here to apply
2019 Mentor induction Dates
16th February 2019
Further dates to be confirmed…
What does Brothers in Arms require of its volunteer mentors?
- To sign up to this mentoring relationship for a minimum of a year
- To spend time with your ‘mentee’ (young person) once a week
- To be self-aware, non-judgmental, and have an open mind
- To be committed to making the relationship work
- Full NZ Drivers License
- Attend a monthly supervision with BIA staff and other mentors (in the evening)
Will my mentee want to be part of Brothers in Arms?
Yes. We only accept referrals for young people when both they and their parents/caregivers have given their consent.
Do I have to see them on the same day each week?
Not at all. The commitment is to see each other once a week, but it can be on any day and time agreed by you both. The time spent together can range from an hour or two to half a day, depending on the activity.
How does Brothers in Arms support its mentors?
At Brothers in Arms we value our mentors, recognising that our volunteers are our most precious resource! We provide:
- Comprehensive vetting and training
- Regular supervision/catch-ups with your Kaitautoko (mentoring support person), who are also available to be contacted at any time
- Regular group events with other mentors and mentees, including an annual camp
- Counselling encouraged and funded for volunteers dealing with difficult issues
- Monthly supervision with BIA staff and other mentors (6.30-8pm)